Thursday, February 23, 2012

Mission Lobster Bisque

I did it!!!  On Sunday after our Valentine's dinner I made homemade lobster bisque soup.  It was most definitely my most labor intensive dish I have ever made, but the results were totally worth it.  

I bought the lobsters at the Market District Giant Eagle where they will steam your lobsters for you!  Score!  You don't need to eat lobster while it's piping hot so it worked out just fine.  After enjoying our lobster dinner on Saturday night, we immediately got to work!  Gary helped me by cutting the lobster shells into smaller pieces.


I used this recipe for the lobster stock.  The recipe says to crush the shells, then put it in a food processor and grind it as finely as possible.  Definitely not necessary.  Just cutting it into pieces with kitchen scissors makes the recipe much more manageable.  Having your husband do the work makes it even better!  After you are all done making the lobster stock, it looks like this:




And let me tell you, the smells were ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!  After the lobster stock was finished, I retired it to the frige for the night.


Day 2, get the lobster stock out of the frige and follow this lobster bisque recipe.  You first saute shallots and mushrooms.  These are cooked with the lobster stock to add a wonderful flavor!  I can't tell you enough that the smells are so amazing!  Take time to enjoy the smells because they are mouthwatering and just made me so giddy!  


Make beurre manie (fancy way of saying butter and flour... or maybe it's just French...)



Add that to the broth to make it thicker.  Add cream.  LOVE cream!  Who doesn't love cream?  Then let it boil.  Like some sort of magical witches brew that is not poisonous but tastes heavenly.



After you drain everything out, add some leftover lobster chunks from the night before and just take it all in and ENJOY!!!  I wish I had put it in a white bowl for the picture so you can see the beautiful color of the bisque.  Because of the cayenne in the stock, it even had a little kick to it, just like my favorite lobster bisque from Lindey's.  Now, I'm clearly not going to be making this again any time soon because of the time it takes and how expensive the ingredients are, but, worth it?  Absolutely.  Would I do it again?  Absolutely!  I just have no clue when that next time will be, but again in this lifetime, we will meet again :)



No comments:

Post a Comment