Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Exploring the Scioto Mile

Sunday night Gary, Kuma, and I went down to the Scioto Mile with a couple of our good friends.  We had so much fun!  The Scioto Mile is a new development along the river in downtown Columbus.  I was pretty skeptical about how it would do, and what it would turn out to be like, especially because they just finished and opened the Columbus Commons recently.  (The Columbus Commons is a new park downtown where City Center, the old mall, used to be). 

I had talked about the two developments with some real estate developers in the area and they expressed their skepticism as well.  Most of their skepticism (and my own) came from the fact that they were not sure that people would come all the way out from the suburbs to to go these parks.  However, after spending an evening at the Scioto Mile, I think (and really hope) that it will continue to be successful. 

The Scioto Mile consists of a walking path that leads up to the Bicentennial Park where there are lots of fountains for kids to play in (unfortunately no dogs) and there is also a cafe and an outdoor ampitheater.  The walkway is lined with pretty flowers and lots of benches, including swinging benches, to enjoy the view of the river. 





The walkway is also right by the Ohio Supreme Court building, which is the building that Gary works in, and is one of the prettiest buildings in downtown.  There are a number of fun fish fountains with cool lights that also line the walkway. 



A little bit before you get to Bicentennial Park, close to the Supreme Court building is a look out.  The look out provides a really nice view of downtown, possibly rivaling the view that I love so much from that park on 33.  In a way it's nicer because you don't get that ugly black bridge in view. 




Bicentennial Park is really cool.  The cafe looks really nice, although the prices were meh.  I haven't eaten there, so I can't say anything about what it tastes like.  I will probably try it out eventually, but the park is a little far away from where I'm at in downtown, so that will have to wait for a weekend (or at least a day that's not so hot!)  There are about 5 fountains and there are also fountains that shoot up from the ground, so lots for kids to enjoy.  







There is also the outdoor amphitheater, where they will be showing free movies!  I think I'm going to try to go to Toy Story 3 or Inception.  Should be fun!  If you haven't been yet, I would highly recommend going to the Scioto Mile!!

No comments:

Post a Comment